And just like that, May has begun. For all you May babies out there, Emerald is your beautiful birthstone.
Here are just a few of the reasons why we love this gorgeous rich green gemstone.
1. Called the “Stone of Successful Love,” emerald opens and nurtures the heart chakra. Its soothing energy provides emotional healing and brings freshness and vitality to the spirit.
2. The first known emeralds were mined in Egypt around 1500 BC.
3. Emerald was one of Cleopatra's favourite stones and she was known to have a lavish collection of emerald jewellery.
4. Ancient legends claim that placing an emerald under the tongue would reveal the truth, protect against evil spells and spirits, and see into the future.
5. One of the largest emeralds in the world was unearthed from a mine in Bahia, Brazil in 2001. The Bahia emerald weighs approximately 341 kg and has an estimated value of $372-400 million.