And just like that, May has well and truly begun. For all you May babies out there, Emerald is your beautiful birthstone. Emeralds rank 7.5 - 8 on the Mohs scale (a scale of hardness based on the ability of one mineral to scratch another) and date back 2.97 billion years.
Here are six of the reasons why we love this gorgeous rich green gemstone.
1. Called the “Stone of Successful Love,” emerald opens and nurtures the heart chakra. Its soothing energy provides emotional healing and brings freshness and vitality to the spirit.
2. The first known emeralds were mined in Egypt around 1500 BC.
3. Emerald was one of Cleopatra's favourite stones and she was known to have a lavish collection of emerald jewellery.
4. Ancient legends claim that placing an emerald under the tongue would reveal the truth, protect against evil spells and spirits, and see into the future.
5. One of the largest emeralds in the world was unearthed from a mine in Bahia, Brazil in 2001. The Bahia emerald weighs approximately 341 kg and has an estimated value of $372-400 million.
6. Emerald is the varying green to greenish blue variety of beryl, a mineral species that also includes aquamarine as well as beryls in other colours.
Did you know? You can customise any of our pieces with your choice of stone, including emeralds! Shop and customise your piece here or contact us to talk about incorporating emeralds into your unique, handmade heirloom.