Peridot is the distinctive lime green stone for the month of August and ranks between 6.5 and 7 on the Mohs scale (a scale of hardness based on the ability of one mineral to scratch another).
Here are our favourite 5 facts about Peridot:
1. Dating back to the extraterrestrial era, tiny peridot crystals have been discovered in meteors that fall to earth, also forming in volcanoes and under tremendous heat and pressure.
2. Peridot is a variety of the Olivine stone family and can be green in colour but can also be yellow-green, greenish yellow, or brown.
3. In 2011, NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope observed what is believed to be tiny crystals of peridot falling like glittery green rain crystals through the dusty cloud of a developing star.
4. Way back in the day, it was used to cure asthma and was held in powder form under the tongue to supposedly lessen the thirst of someone suffering from a fever.
5. Peridot is believed to bring good health, restful sleep and peace to relationships by balancing emotions and mind.
Did you know? You can customise any of our pieces with your choice of stone, including peridots! Shop and customise your piece here or contact us to talk about incorporating Peridot into your unique, handmade heirloom.