Emeralds are a gorgeous and rich addition to any piece of jewellery, but it is important to understand that they require a little more care and attention than your other gemstones.
As emeralds are a softer, more delicate variety of stone, they often have surface reaching inclusions. As a result, they are not only more susceptible to scratches, but they are particularly prone to chipping or cracking when knocked, which can result in the stone loosening and falling out of the setting. This simply means that emeralds require a little more loving care from their wearer.
Here are some ways to keep your favourite emerald shimmering for a lifetime:
- Be sure to remove your jewellery before doing anything laborious. Taking your rings off before the gym or doing household chores will help protect your emerald from unnecessary hits.
- Avoid exposing your emerald to extreme temperatures. Heat can damage emeralds as it can extend existing fractures.
- Be careful about continuous exposure to sunlight as the light can destroy oil treatments or discolour or deteriorate your emerald.
- When storing your emerald jewellery, store it securely in your RUUSK box so it cannot hit against other jewellery or hard surfaces.
- Never clean your emerald ultrasonically or with steam: ultrasonic vibrations could weaken already-fractured stones and hot steam causes oil or unhardened resin to sweat out of fractures.
For more information on caring for your RUUSK piece, please read our jewellery care guide.
Did you know? You can customise any of our pieces with your choice of stone, including emerald! Get in touch to talk about incorporating emerald into your unique, handmade heirloom.