And lucky you April babies, this very special stone is your birthstone. Side note for the astrology lovers, especially those born between April 1 - April 19, a diamond is thought to stabilise and calm any Aries who are over-energised and all over the place.
Ranking 10 on the Mohs scale (a scale of hardness based on the ability of one mineral to scratch another), diamonds are the hardest substance known to man - the only thing that can scratch a diamond is another diamond! Here are our favourite 5 facts about diamonds:
- The word ‘diamond’ is derived from the Greek word ‘adamas’ which means invincible, unbreakable or unconquerable.
- In ancient Roman and Greek mythology, diamonds were referred to as ‘tears of the gods’, and it was supposed that Cupid shot diamond-tipped arrows into lovers. Perhaps, it is unsurprising that diamonds have gained an association with eternal love, strength and power.
- A diamond is also the gemstone for sixtieth and seventy-fifth wedding anniversaries.
- Diamonds can be found in all multiple colours. Blue, green, orange and red are the rarest whilst yellow and brown are most regularly found.
- The largest diamond ever discovered was called the Cullinan diamond, (found in 1905, South Africa) weighing in at 3,106 carats! It was later cut into nine large diamonds and 100 smaller ones, three of which are on display as part of the crown jewels in London.
Did you know? You can personalise many of our pieces with your choice of stone, including diamonds. Shop and customise your piece here or contact us to talk about incorporating diamonds into your unique, handmade heirloom.