Long thought to symbolise the Sun’s energy, citrine has been known to provide warm and comforting emotions whilst encouraging fresh beginnings and new pursuits. Considered a healing gemstone in ancient times, citrine was carried to protect one against snake venom and evil thoughts. So luckily for you November babies, not only do you have two birthstones to choose from, but this November gem is only sending positive vibes your way!
A personalised Moons Thin Organic Ring with Amethyst and Citrine
For this post, we’re focusing on citrine but if you wanted to have a peek at our other November birthstone, topaz, please click here.
Citrine rank 7 on the Mohs scale (a scale of hardness based on the ability of one mineral to scratch another) and is the transparent, pale yellow to brownish orange variety of quartz. Here are our favourite 5 facts about citrine:
- Citrine, believed to derive from the French word for “lemon” (citron), is given for the thirteenth wedding anniversary.
- In the contemporary market, citrine’s most popular shade is an earthy, deep brownish or reddish orange. In fact, it’s durability and affordability makes citrine the current top selling yellow-to-orange gemstone.
- Because natural citrine is very rare and pale in colour, almost transparent, most citrine on the market is heat treated amethyst (also in the quartz family). This process replicates the natural transformation of an amethyst’s pale violet colours evolving into a citrine's yellow and orangey hues.
- A trace of iron in citrine’s structure is responsible for its yellow-to-orange colour.
- According to ancient Chinese legend, citrine is ‘The Stone of Success’ and should only be given to generous people. In fact, Chinese Emperors often wore citrine jewellery as it was believed this would increase intellect and broaden the mind.
A personalised Citrine Mini Stellar Solitaire Ring
A personalised Guardian Pendant Necklace with Emerald and Citrine
Did you know? You can customise many of our pieces with your choice of stone, including citrine. Shop and customise your piece here or contact us to talk about incorporating citrine into your unique, handmade heirloom.