Topaz and ruby Oval Pendant
Those born in November have not one, but two birthstones to choose from; Citrine & Topaz! In this post we'll be looking at gorgeous Topaz, but if you want to read about at our other November birthstone, Citrine, please click here.
Here are our favourite 6 facts about this beautiful stone:
- The name Topaz comes from Topazios, the old Greek name for a small island in the Red Sea, where golden stones were found. Interestingly, this island didn't contain Topaz at all, and those golden stones were, in fact, Peridot!
- Another theory as to where Topaz got its name is that it was derived from the Sanskrit word, “topas,” which means fire.
- Ancient Greeks believed that wearing Topaz could increase strength and improve both physical and mental health. They also thought this stone to grant the wearer the power of invisibility!
- In India, many believe that Topaz worn above the heart assures long life, beauty and intelligence.
- Topaz is believed to attract good fortune, money and wealth, especially in the form of gold!
- Many recorded Topaz crystals have been very large, some reaching up to 4 feet in size and weighing hundreds of kilograms.
Did you know? You can personalise many of our pieces with your choice of stone, including topaz. Shop and customise your piece here or contact us to talk about incorporating topaz into your unique, handmade heirloom.