As our leaves start to turn golden and the temperatures slightly drop, the month of March marks the changing of the seasons, Autumn is here. Thus, it seems fitting that March’s birthstone, Aquamarine, is known to boost the immune system and alleviate bodily seasonal reactions, such as hay fever or allergies. A gemstone which strongly protects one’s well-being, Aquamarine evokes courage and exudes a calming energy to reduce stress and support those overwhelmed by responsibility.
Ranking 7.5 - 8 on the Mohs scale (a scale of hardness based on the ability of one mineral to scratch another), Aquamarine is the blue variety of the beryl; with a colour spectrum from deep to light blue and slightly greenish-blue hues. Here are our favourite 5 facts about Aquamarine:
- The word “Aquamarine” is derived from two Latin words: ‘aqua’, meaning water, and ‘marina’, meaning the sea.
- Many of Aquamarine’s spiritual qualities are heavily derived from the ocean, with connections to the sky’s reflection on the sea surface. Known to clarify perception, sharpen the intellect and clear confusion, Aquamarine allows an individual to face themselves head-on, encouraging them to find hidden meaning and truth.
- In Roman Catholic mythology, Aquamarine is the stone of Saint Thomas because he is the saint of mariners. Long thought to provide safety on the seas, this gemstone has a reputation for keeping sailors safe at sea and calming the ocean’s waves.
- Ancient Greeks and Romans long admired Aquamarine’s beauty and believed Poseidon made it out of seawater. Over time, Romans used this stone to turn enemies into friends and to help them look into the future!
- Most importantly, Aquamarine is a lovers stone and celebrates 19th wedding anniversaries! This lovely blue gem is also a traditional Buddhist gift from a husband to his wife the day after their wedding as it will promote a happy marriage.
Aquamarine True North Necklace
Did you know? You can personalise many of our pieces with your choice of stone, including aquamarine. Shop and customise your piece here or contact us to talk about incorporating aquamarine into your unique, handmade heirloom.