Also the birthstone for the month of May, May babies are exceptionally fortunate because according to traditional belief, emeralds bring a wearer foresight, youth and good fortune. Historically associated with Greek goddess Venus, the Goddess of love and beauty, emerald was said to protect lovers from unfaithfulness; if the heart was loyal, the gem would glow in a beautiful green colour.
Ranking 7.5 - 8 on the Mohs scale (a scale of hardness based on the ability of one mineral to scratch another) emeralds are the varying green to greenish blue variety of beryl.
Here are our favourite 5 facts about emeralds:
1. According to Indian mythology, the word emerald was first translated from Sanskrit ‘marakata’, meaning the green of growing things. However, the name is also believed to have been derived from ancient Persian ‘smaragdos’, meaning green gem.
2. In every ancient language, there were reports of emeralds helping eyesight. So much so that emeralds were crushed into a fine powder and made into an eye lotion! Roman author Pliny the Elder (AD 23/24 – 79) wrote in his encyclopaedic Natural History that the soft, green colour comforted and removed weariness. Modern science now backs his findings, as the colour green is now known to relieve stress and eye strain.
3. Called the “Stone of Successful Love,” an emerald opens and nurtures the heart chakra. Its soothing energy provides emotional healing and brings freshness and vitality to the spirit.
4. An emerald is the gemstone for thirty-fifth and fifty-fifth wedding anniversaries.
5. Ancient legends reveal that emeralds have the power to make their wearer more intelligent, eloquent and quick-witted. Historically believed to have magical powers, emeralds were placed under the tongue so one could see into the future.
If you're thinking of creating a piece with an emerald, it is worth a mention that this lovely gem does requires a little more care and attention than other gemstones. We have created an emerald care guide to help keep your favourite emerald shimmering for a lifetime!
Rose Gold Emerald Guardian Pendant Necklace
Platinum Moon & Star Oval Signet with an Emerald 'moon'
Did you know? You can personalise many of our pieces with your choice of stone, including Emerald. Shop and customise your piece here or contact us to talk about incorporating emerald into your unique, handmade heirloom.